Katy Perry, Lil Mama, and Jessie J wear the best shoes of the night at the 2011 VMAs.
Photo: John Shearer/Getty Images
I hope you didn't think we forgot about the most important (in MY humble opinion - though, I know I'm biased) accessory in our 2011 VMA style round-up! Oh, ye of little faith. There were just SO many options, such A-grade shoes game (not to mention outfit changes) that we needed to let it all marinate before we made our selections. The flipbook is full of our picks, but our three most exemplary well-heeled ladies of the night were big winner Katy Perry, MTV family staple Lil Mama, and VMA House Artist Jessie J.
Maybe Katy was at an unfair advantage for this kind of thing. She did, after all, have a few more entries in the pot than most of the attendees with her many wardrobe changes. But you know what? That doesn't mean she had to change her shoes! She could have coasted through with a neutral or metallic pump that went with each new ensemble. But she DIDN'T. She challenged herself and totally struck GOLD with this pair of Giuseppe Zanotti neon color-blocked platform heels. And if I had enough disposable income to cushion the blow of a pair of shoes that amazing (or rather, a conscience that didn't flinch at a price tag), they would be on my feet THIS INSTANT. Alas, I'll continue to admire (maybe also worship, you'll never know) from afar.
Lil Mama, who blew our minds with her attention-demanding Movie Awards accessories turned it out again in these wooden platform peep-toe booties. The wedges are rounded out like some sort of table centerpiece in the window display of Pier 1 Imports with an elegant rounded cut-out below the arch of the foot. Admittedly, it sounds and reads a little strange, but when you see these things on real live FEET, they really come to life and are both baffling and beautiful. Lastly, though Jessie J is technically only wearing one shoe, WHAT a shoe it is! Honestly, we'd be writing about this sequined loafer even if she weren't also wearing a bedazzled orthopedic boot. But also, we award major propers for the geometric rhinestone designs on that thing because J is a trooper, and her commitment to style even whilst broken is wholly admirable. *wipes away single happy tear*
2011 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS COVERAGE:
• Snooki, Jessie J, And JWOWW Amp Up The Eye Drama At The 2011 VMAs
• Full Anatomy Of Nicki Minaj's Outfit At Lil Wayne's 'Tha Carter IV' Party
• Full Anatomy Of Nicki Minaj's Candy Raver Outfit
• Which Selena Gomez VMA Dress Did You Like Better?
• Terry Richardson Shoots Lady Gaga As Jo Calderone In His VMA Dressing Room
• Justin Bieber Channels Kanye West's VMA Performance Outfit From Last Year
• Who Tried To Out-Gaga Lady Gaga With Dramatic Silhouettes At The VMAs?
• Justin Bieber, Jay-Z, And Lil Wayne Work Animal Print At The VMAs
• Katy Perry Switches Up Nail Art During VMA Show!
• From Beyonce To Demi Lovato: The 10 Best VMA Outfits Of The Night
• Jersey Shore Cast's VMA Style Matches; But What Was The Situation Wearing?
• Deena Matches Eyes To Rainbow Dress At 2011 VMAs
• Wiz Khalifa And Amber Rose Sport White To The VMAs
• The Red Carpet Fashion From The 2011 Video Music Awards
• Kanye West Rocks VMA Ombre Chambray
• Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez Melt Faces With Their Dark, Chic, Silky VMA Style
• Katy Perry Wears A Yellow Block On Her Head For the 2011 Video Music Awards
• We Are Obsessed with Adele's Long VMA Nails
• Does Jo Calderone Look Like Ralph Macchio?
• VMA 2011: Red Carpet Report With Kreayshawn
• A Pregnant Beyonce Stuns, Glows In Lanvin Dolce and Gabbana
• Katy Perry's Asian-Inspired 2011 VMA Ensemble
• Nicki Minaj Wears Stylish Surgical Mask At 2011 VMAs
• Lady Gaga Opens The 2011 VMAs In Menswear As Alter Ego 'Jo Calderone'
• VMA 2011: Red Carpet Fashion Live Blog!