Frank Ocean, Lil Wayne, and Mac Miller mix prints at the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards.
Photo: Getty Images
The red carpet trend game doesn't have to be dominated by the ladies. Dudes follow fashion, too. And evidently, Frank Ocean, Lil Wayne, and Mac Miller have kept an eye on the mixed prints trend thing that's been happening for more than a few seasons now. All three of these guys employed some iteration of the piled on patterns but each in his own variation.
Frank Ocean made the biggest commitment, launching the trend across his entire outfit. He paired a polka-dot short-sleeve collared shirt with plaid tailored shorts. Weezy, on the other hand, kept his print mixing posterior. His Donnie Thornberry-channelling ensemble featured BRIGHT yellow animal print shorts worn over camouflage underroos, AND if you look reeeeeally closely, there's even a little neon print action happening on his Supra sneakers. Mac Miller went the other direction, focusing his patterns on the top-half of his outfit. The Pittsburgh MC wore a greyscale ditsy FLORAL (yes, the dude did it) unbuttoned and layered over a BAPE tee with a star-spangled gorilla head logo. Who wore the version of mixed prints that you like best: Frank Ocean Lil Wayne, or Mac Miller?
+ MORE 2012 VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS COVERAGE
• VMA 2012: Red Carpet Fashion Live Blog!
• MTV.com VMA Red Carpet Host Holland Roden Goes '60s Chic
• House of Style Hosts Joan Smalls and Karlie Kloss Are Super Excited For You To Watch! [VIDEO]
• Demi Lovato Shines In Sequins For Her VMA Pre-Show Preformance
• Rihanna's 2012 VMAs Style From Red Carpet To Stage
• One Direction Or The Wanted: Which Boy Band's VMA Style Is Best?
• Frank Ocean Makes VMA Performance Debut In All-Black Ensemble
• Rita Ora Or Nicki Minaj: Who Wore A Sheer Bodysuit Best On The VMA Red Carpet?
• Holland Roden Interviews Miley Cyrus And More In The 2012 VMA Red Carpet Report
• Taylor Swift Ditches Dresses For A White Pantsuit And Shorts At VMAs
• Lil Wayne's 2012 VMA Performance Outfit Reminds Us Of 'The Wild Thornberrys'
• Blondes Have More Fun (At The 2012 VMAs)
• One Direction, Frank Ocean, Emma Watson, Miley Cyrus And More In Our VMA Top Red Carpet Looks
• MTV Stars On The 2012 VMA Red Carpet: 'Teen Wolf,' 'Jersey Shore,' 'Awkward,' And More!
• Katy Perry Works Long And Short Dresses At The VMAs
• Sheer, Sleeves, And Black Ruled The 2012 VMA Red Carpet
• Riff Raff Breaks Down His 2012 MTV VMA Red Carpet Look
• Taylor Swift Vs. Kat Graham: Who Wore A Suit To The VMAs Better?