Taylor Swift at the 2012 Video Music Awards on Sept. 6 in L.A.
Photo: Getty Images
We admit it, we totally expected Taylor Swift to wear a dress to tonight's Video Music Awards. But then again, can you reallyyyy blame us? The girl knows what works best for her, and in the last few years this has meant flirty dresses, statuesque gowns, and a strong red lip. While we give Taylor props for sticking to her guns, we're thrilled to see her stepping out in something new tonight on the VMA red carpet. She looked seriously sophisticated in a white J. Mendel silk crepe pantsuit, paired with Tom Ford sandals and Lorraine Schwartz earrings. The whole outfit: simple, chic, and a perfect example that sometimes less really IS more. Taylor kept things clean on the beauty front as well, wearing a swoop of black liner and her statement red lips. Hey, certain things never change...
We may have missed the mark on the dress prediction, but we definitely WEREN'T far off for Taylor's performance, where she continued the red theme for "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together." The pop star stayed true to form in a red and white striped top, high-waisted black shorts (yep, just like the ones in the video), and red oxford shoes. It's very cute, comfortable, AND a bonus? All the better to crowd surf in, friends.
+ MORE 2012 VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS COVERAGE
• VMA 2012: Red Carpet Fashion Live Blog!
• MTV.com VMA Red Carpet Host Holland Roden Goes '60s Chic
• Mirror Images: P!nk And Miley Cyrus Rock The Exact Same 'Do On VMA Red Carpet
• Demi Lovato Shines In Sequins For Her VMA Pre-Show Performance
• Rihanna's 2012 VMAs Style From Red Carpet To Stage
• Holland Roden Interviews Miley Cyrus, The Wanted, The Cast Of 'Jersey Shore' And More In The 2012 VMA Red Carpet Report
• Rita Ora Or Nicki Minaj: Who Wore A Sheer Bodysuit Best On The VMA Red Carpet?
+ WATCH TAYLOR SWIFT'S "WE ARE NEVER EVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER" VMA PERFORMANCE