We've already loaded you up on tons of dream dress inspiration this prom season, from the wallet-friendly frocks to splurge-worthy options, but you know what? Let's take a break from gowns for a sec because now it's officially time to talk hair. If you think about it, there's no better place to get prom hair ideas than from the red carpet. After all, these two events actually have a LOT in common: the search for the perfect dress, finding comfortable-but-still-chic shoes, and the inevitable time spent in front of the mirror getting ready. The only difference between us and Hollywood's "It" list is the fact that they have a team of experts helping them primp. But because we love you, we tracked down the masterminds behind some of our favorite red carpet hair looks this season from Kristen Stewart, Amanda Seyfried, and Sarah Hyland. These pros gave us the complete breakdown on how to recreate the styles yourself as well as the products they used (although your own bathroom stash will work, too). Check out the step-by-step instructions below!
KRISTEN STEWART AT 2013 KIDS' CHOICE AWARDS
Kristen Stewart at the 2013 Kids' Choice Awards
Photo: Getty Images
Kristen Stewart KNOWS how to get people talking, and at the 2013 Kids' Choice Awards we obsessed over her tousled fishtail braid (as well as her daring short suit!). The actress's hairstylist, Adir Abergel, told us how he achieved the effortless hair look.
1. On slightly damp hair, apply Fekkai Perfectly Luscious Curls Wave Activating Spray from roots to ends.
2. Using a diffuser, blow dry hair and scrunch it with hands to create a rough, voluminous texture.
3. Next, rub a dime-size amount of Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream between your hands and sweep hair back and up off of the face.
4. Starting at the crown, create a fishtail braid down the middle of the head. Secure the end with a clear elastic band. Gently pull the braid apart for a deconstructed look and let a few pieces of hair frame your face.
5. Finish the look by misting Fekkai COIFF Sheer Hold Hairspray all over to keep the style in place all night.
AMANDA SEYFRIED AT 2013 SAG AWARDS
Amanda Seyfried at the 2013 SAG Awards
Photo: Getty Images
When it comes to cascading Old Hollywood waves, few can pull off the retro gorgeousness quite as well as Amanda Seyfried. According to the Suave Professionals Celebrity Stylist Jenny Cho, “My inspiration for the hair was the bottom of her beautiful dress – the layers of ruffles on her fishtail dress cascading down to the floor was so elegant.” Cho filled us in on how to do these subtle curls at home.
1. Wash and condition hair with Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Shine Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Blow dry hair with a round brush, ensuring a smooth finish with body. Make a deep side part and divide hair into four or five big sections. Starting at the midpoint of hair, wind each section around the barrel of a large curling iron and hold for a few seconds.
3. After all hair is curled, mist a paddle brush with Suave Professionals Touchable Finish Lightweight Hold Hairspray and brush over the waves to break them up and give a softer look.
4. Bring hair to one side, and tuck behind ear. Secure the back with a duckbill clip. Right when you're ready to leave, remove the clip.
5. Add a little Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Styling Oil to palms, rub together and apply from mid-shaft to ends for head-turning shine.
SARAH HYLAND AT 2013 EMMY AWARDS
Sarah Hyland at the 2013 Emmy Awards
Photo: Getty Images
Sarah Hyland looked like a total Grecian goddess at the 2013 Emmy Awards in her Marchesa gown, and her hairstylist John Ruggiero used this as a jumping-off point for her "soft, easy look." Here's how he did it.
1. Start by spraying each section with Bumble and Bumble Classic Hairspray.
2 Curl hair with 1/2-inch Amika curling iron.
3. Place a low bun at the occipital bone, then place tight curls loosely back into the bun.
4.For an added touch take two sections behind the ears and braid them, then pin them into the bun to add to the Grecian feel.
5. Finish off the look with Bumble Classic Spray.