Natali Germanotta and Lady Gaga at the 2011 CFDA Fashion Awards.
Photo: Getty Images
As if the fashion chops of Lady Gaga weren't genetic, the entire blog-world is absolutely a-titter with the news that her little sister Natali wants to grow up and be a designer. To that, we give a big fat duh. The dark-haired beauty (who is younger, but kind of looks older, right?) tags along with Gaga every now and again, playing the girl who gets in a fight in "Telephone" and appearing next to her big sis in an all black ensemble, complete with a leather bustier, when Gaga showed her butt (literally) at the CFDA Awards in June. Apparently, as Women's Wear Daily reports, her furious note-taking wasn't just for memories: She is a freshman at New York's Parsons The New School for Design, studying fashion. When she was still at Convent of the Sacred Heart (Gaga's an alumna as well), Natali interned for designer Allison Parris and even pitched in backstage at a fall fashion show.
Kristen Stewart at the 2011 MTV Movie Awards.
Photo: Getty Images
• The Movie Awards may be over (until next year!), but that doesn't mean you can't re-live every fabulous fashion moment! We brought you all the red carpet coverage your little heart could desire from the biggest trends to our top ten looks and even drilled down to the nitty gritty details like nails and beauty!
• Our girl, Lady Gaga was honored at this year's CFDA Awards as a bona fide Fashion Icon. What did Mother Monster wear the first day after her coronation as High Priestess of FASHUN? A dress with her face on it. Duh.
• We know the witty banter we facilitate here at MTV Style is really funny and stuff, but we've decided it's time we do more philanthropic things with the blog. Thus, this week we reached out a helping hand to keep you from zit monster summer bang disasters and from leaving the house questioning, "Am I Wearing A Dress?" You're welcome. *plastic smile and beauty pageant wave*
• This week, a few stars had us stroking our invisible thinking mustaches with some glimpses into hidden supernatural powers. Jared Leto's hair defied all laws of science in a 'do that was straight out of Dragon Ball Z, and Katy Perry changed her clothes a truly miraculous EIGHT TIMES in one song. WHAT. Maybe celebrities really aren't humans after all...
• Finally, we love ya, Urban Outfitters. We frequent you often. But some of the "merchandise" you guys are pushing is well... WTF???
We hope you have a wonderful summer weekend, stylettes. (East Coast, stay dry!) See you back here bright and early Monday morning!
Anderson Cooper at the 2011 CFDA Fashion Awards in New York City on June 6, 2011.
Photo: Getty Images
Oh, hi there! *shakes self out of trance* I was so locked in the steely gaze of Anderson Cooper's baby blues, dreaming about Sunday mornings making blackberry waffles together in plushy bathrobes, I almost forgot I needed to actually TYPE something about the guy... So Monday night, A. Coop (lest he be confused with the other similarly hot Cooper, B. Coop) played host to this year's CFDA Awards, commonly dubbed "the Oscars of fashion." Now, you might be thinking, "What is Anderson Cooper 360 doing emceeing a fashion event?" Well, you can check the attitude at the door, sweetheart, because you're talking about fashion ROYALTY here. Respect.
As the son of actress/artist/heiress/designer jean pioneer Gloria Vanderbilt, AC has fashion in his blood. Upon closer inspection, it's really not that hard to believe. The perfectly pressed Ralph Lauren Black Label suit with a tastefully skinny lapel? The impeccable knot in his dotted steel blue tie (which match his eyes EXACTLY btw)? And I challenge you to find anyone else on this planet who makes gray look THAT good. It all kind of makes you wonder why you didn't put two and two together before! But that isn't even the half of it. Anderson revealed that he has even MORE fashion cred than you could have ever imagined...
The CFDA Awards, hosted by the Council of Fashion Designers in America (hence the name CFDA), is appropriately dubbed the Oscars of fashion. Of course, the Council only recognizes American designers, but that is totally great with us because it reminds us that Marc Jacobs, Diane von Furstenburg and Vera Wang all claim this landspace as their own. The ceremony, a rather small affair that is about as easy to get invited to as the Royal Wedding, is the time when American designers get to walk with their current "muses." Past award winners featured Iman (as an icon), Michelle Obama (as a special tribute) and Rodarte (best womenswear).
Lady Gaga and her sister Natali Germanotta at the 2011 CFDA Fashion Awards in New York on June 6.
Photo: Getty Images
The real Oscars are for beauty and classic-ness, but the CFDA's prove that a celeb has the fashion chutzpah to own the red carpet. And, of course, there was Lady Gaga, who is now an official CFDA Fashion Icon.
Love her, hate her, or shut off each time she is mentioned (which in all fairness, is quite a lot), her CFDA nod firmly cemented her status as a real game-changer, not just a punk kid in wacky boots. We love that she brought her vamped out sister Natali as her red carpet date. The piercing eyes and Italian fierceness is clearly genetic—though definitely NOT genetic was Gaga's blunt cut aqua bob, which appeared front and center. However, we aren't massive fans of her unwieldy and dragging train, which was reportedly such a hassle she couldn't make it into the press room for interviews. Yet, in true Gaga-watching form, we wrestle with conflicting emotions on her acceptance getup: She ditched the train and then turned around to moon the industry—Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington included. Maybe not the most classic and respectful of moves, but hey, even as a game-changer, she still is a punk kid in wacky boots. But she wasn't the only one who kept the paps a-snappin'.