In the teaser for Katy Perry's "Birthday" video, the singer transforms into five different birthday party entertainers. Oh, one caveat—they're the world's worst party people. Katy is so transformed by her makeup and (surprisingly?) good at accents that when the video began I didn't ~get~ that it was Katy in disguise. In retrospect, I'm embarrassed. At the time, though, I was embarrassed for the aging showgirl.
GIF: Capitol Records/Jenny Shafei
The dancer's name, of course, is Goldie. This isn't your run-of-the-mill slap on a wig, and glasses transformation (we're looking at you, Drake)—Katy has on elaborate makeup and prostheses to make not only her face, but neck look wrinkly. She's got some bright blue eye shadow, a bold red lip, and it looks like a brush hasn't touched her hair in years. It's quite a different look from the wistful old lady she played in "The One That Got Away" (more on that later).
GIF: Capitol Records/Jenny Shafei
Then there's Yosef Shulem, an MC, who is willing to tell jokes at funerals. For Yosef, Katy has on layers of makeup to make her neck and chin look chunkier, a curly wig and matching strong brows, and, my personal favorite, chest and finger hair. No detail was skipped, you guys!
Let them eat birthday cake! (Luxury pink five-layer cake lined with sparklers and designed by famed French bakery, Ladurèe, to be exact.) Madonna turned 55 this weekend (on August 16th) and sexed-up a chateau in the South of France with a decadent French Revolution-themed bash. Wearing a seriously stacked blonde wig, an ornate purple corset and heart-shaped eye patch, Her Madgesty channeled Marie Antoinette, sans hoop skirt (well, sans bottoms completely), while her 25-year-old boyfriend-in-waiting, Brahim Zaibat, looked all bougie and baroque by her side in a heightened grey wig of his own. Also present at the fancy fête? Madonna's not-so-little lady, Lourdes Leon, 16, who let loose in an Antoinette-ish corset gown and black ribbon choker.
"Perhaps we had too much Cale! But at my Birthday Party all I could see was LOVE," Madonna captioned a fierce party pic on her Instagram before adding, "Perhaps I had too much Champagne! I meant to write CAKE!"
Not pictured in this birthday party mock-up: Kim Kardashian's sonogram.
Photo: Getty Images/HelloBlueIvyCarter.Tumblr.com/Amy Creyer, Gif: Gaby Wilson
Where did the time go?? It feels like just yesterday we were hypothesizing about what fancy treats mommy Beyonce and daddy Jay-Z would pool together for Blue Ivy Carter's grand arrival. A first photo reveal via Tumblr, a trademark case, and several months later, and suddenly Baby Blue is one year older. The heir to The Throne made her way into the world on this day, January 7, exactly one year ago, and since then, she's been making her fair share of waves on our style pages.
From her custom shoe game to her luxurious outerwear, Blue (by way of Bey and Hov's choices and purchases, of course — make no mistake, we're not suggesting baby girl is dressing herself) is garnering her own style cred and just may be poised, with time, to follow in the footsteps of many of our favorite rockstar daughters (Lourdes Leon, Zoë Kravitz, Kelly Osbourne, Georgia May Jagger, etc.). Thus, we're celebrating the stylish toddler's special day the best way we know how: Photoshopping an imaginary birthday soiree with some of our favorite fashion protégés.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAILEE STEINFELD! Today, you're officially sweet 16, and in honor of you and your day of birth, one of our ABSOLUTE favorite fashion plates (regardless of age!), we've rounded up our personal 16 favorite looks that you've rock since stepping out in the spotlight courtesy of True Grit. Sure, that only makes for two years of ensembles to choose from, but believe us, there were more than enough to choose from. In all honesty, whittling the list down to 16 was actually pretty difficult! To make it all a little more digestible, here are our sweet 16 Hailee Steinfeld outfits broken up into a few thematic categories. Enjoy!
SPARKLY AND SWEET
We've picked out our 16 favorite outfits Hailee Steinfeld has ever worn.
Photo: Getty Images
Since it is her sixteenth birthday, we'll start with the most sweet-16 ready set: Hailee's sparkly and sweet outfits. There are two ways she prefers to implement her sartorial sparkle. Sometimes it's a full-bodice of sequins and beading like we saw on both the poofy princess Marchesa she wore to the 2011 Academy Awards (and paired with SNEAKERS to the Vanity Fair party!) or that lovely midi skirted Miu Miu dress she wore to the 2011 BAFTA Awards. And other times it's a touch of shine on a dress or blazer's collar à la her "Muta" by Lucrecia Martel screening outfit and 2011 MTV Movie Awards red carpet tuxedo.
Happy 26th Birthday, Lady Gaga!
Photo: Getty Images, Gif: Lauren Reid
Happy Birthday, Lady Gaga! We bestow you with a 26 paw salute to celebrate your special day and applaud an astoundingly stylish journey into your latter 20s. It's been an unforgettable year of everything from Armani zombies and cinnamon bun hair to pantlessness and the debut of your male alter ego, Jo Calderone. We didn't quite know what to get you, other than our lifelong Little Monster pledge of allegiance (and continued support of the Born This Way Foundation), but we popped on over to your Twitter page and noticed that you've already decided how you're going to celebrate...
Ay, mami (monster), a quinceañera birthday party, you say?! We can help with that! In our dream Gagaeañera world, we see you wearing a most triumphant dress à la that voluminous Chanel wonderment you wore to the opening of Gaga's Workshop. And in typical quinceañera fashion, you should top it with a tiara to remind you of your family and that you'll always be the world's princess. There should be a band, so we'd hire your three amigos Nicola Formichetti, Karl Lagerfeld, and Jean Paul Gaultier to serenade you near a gigantic cake (made by Chef Art Smith, of course). And, lastly, because we love you (though this is more bday fiesta than quinceañera), there would be a pony piñata filled with MAC lipstick, gummi bears, unbreakable teacups, and never-ending white roses that symbolize unity and a pureness of love. *Champagne clink* to you, fine Lady. May you enjoy another unprecedented year!
Like us on Facebook so we can be friends and follow us on Twitter @MTVstyle to talk.
Lady Gaga's Meat Dress.
Photo: Getty Images
• This week we celebrated our first birthday! The selfless beings that we are here at MTV Style (to be read with intense sarcasm), we find it better to give than to receive. Thus, we presented our GIF to you as a sincere and heartfelt THANK YOU to each and every one of you who loves fashion at full volume and has put up with all 119 instances of the word "glitter" on this blog.
• What week is Justin Bieber NOT king? Regardless, this was a big one for the Biebs as he finally released his much-anticipated women's perfume, Someday. Our friends at Buzzworthy tested it out on a few strangers in Time Square in a video you just can't miss! Justin also sported a T-shirt of '90s teen queen Tiffani Thiessen, who then RETURNED THE FAVOR (oh yes, we are still excited about it) by wearing a Bieber tee of her own! No word on when Justin Bieber will one-up Tiffani with the (totally meta) move of wearing a T-shirt of her wearing a T-shirt of him, but we'll be there if/when it happens.
• We caught up personally with a few style stars this week. NBD. *awkwardly brushes shoulders off in an attempt to be nonchalant* Robyn, despite all of our girlish swooning, took some time to speak with us about her cray-mazing personal style from fancy underpants to custom Timbs. And we all developed even bigger girl-crushes on Kreayshawn after she may or may not have TOTALLY SCHOOLED US at liquid eyeliner application. We're unsettlingly competitive so the loss REALLY stings, but for her, we put it aside.
• We analyzed the video fashions of two women idolized by girls everywhere: Britney Spears and Miss Piggy. We broke down Brit's new punk rock look for her "I Wanna Go" music video down to each and every last safety pin. And Miss Piggy brought her fashion game as a 'Vogue Paris' editor in the new Muppets trailer.
• Finally, we (yet again) ogled a wholeeee LOTTA boys, high-fashion boys at that. The D&G models at this week's Milan show charged down the runway like a shirtless army that we definitely wouldn't mind pretending to fend off. The Versace show drew in a seriously studly front row (umm HAI Chace Crawford and Darren Criss). Aaannndd Nicola Formichetti's new campaign video for Mugler is basically porn, and we're not mad about it.
That's it for this week! Thanks for the birthday wishes and for a truly amazing year! Have a great weekend and we'll see you back here on Monday! xoxo