Cobra Starship's "#1nite" video.
Photo: Courtesy of Fueled by Ramen/MTV
Let's just all agree that the weekend has officially arrived early, thanks to Cobra Starship and their amazingly addictive dance anthem "#1nite." Originally released way back in June '11, the band has outdone themselves- yes, again-with an updated version of the pop jam and a brand new video. Featuring emerging Canadian singer My Name Is Kay on vocals along with Starship frontman Gabe Saporta, the vid just premiered yesterday on MTV. It's filled with road trips, summer loving, and a major gas station dress up party. And naturally, now that we've watched the clip all morning (and danced in our seats the entire time), we can finally focus on what we're here for- the fashion. Let's do this...
Gabe Saporta from Cobrastarship.
Photo: Kai Regan
Sometimes life just isn't fair you guys. :'( Those were the thoughts swirling in my broken brain/resulting in worrisome <3 beats when I was invited to spend a rainy afternoon at the dream-on-toast Gabe Saporta's East Village bachelor pad on his day off. When the crazily charismatic Cobra Starship frontman kindly offered me a glass of water, I obliged because, TBH, this gay needed a cool-down. *Gulp* The over 6-foot-tall piping hot glass of Smart water himself lives quite the jet-setting rockstar life, (DUH), as seen in the just-released video for Cobra Starship's latest electro banger, "1Nite", in which viewers get their groupie voyeuristic thrills on as the band brings their fist-pumping friendly act around the globe and makes the coolest home-video EVS, involving an underground Japanese rave replete with pelvic-thrusting dancers, no less.
Sabi in a SS12 Joyrich sweater.
Photo: Nikko La Mere
For all you tardy for the party, meet our latest obsession: Sabi. Uh huh, she’s the one tearing up the la-la-la-la-la's (and semi to blame) for the universe’s fave reigning cruisin'-top-down-off-key-belting-fest via Cobra Starship's "You Make Me Feel Good" hit. She's also the girl behind Britney Spears' "(Drop Dead) Beautiful" song from the immaculate popgasm known as Femme Fatale. Honey, if Brit Brit thinks you're hot, then you're Jalapeño-flavored Cheetos all kinds of HAWT. Moving on, we had to wash the fire down with a light Caramel Frap after drooling over Sabi's new-ish music video for "Wild Heart" from her forthcoming debut album. Our initial squeals included: "OMGAH! High-top Reeboks?"/"She better werk a navy turban!"/"OH HAY to the papier-mâché hearts igniting, and WE FEEL YOU, GIRL *hand waves* for Sabi losing it whilst sangin' 'DAYUM THIS WILD <3 OF MINE' on her bedroom floor in a fierce gown." Then yesterday, the "Where They Do That At" music video featuring Wale premiered on JustJared, and we rolled under our desks and stayed there shivering in delight for the rest of the day. Reason: the straight raven locks, the big bad hoops and the baggy camo pants paired with a little midriff/the return of the turban action = Sabi's KILLING IT annnd giving us a little Aaliyah vibe. (P.S.- Is that a belly-button gilded chain? *DEAD*) Yes, Sabi you are that somebody (had to!) whose closet we'd love to raid after getting coffee/being besties/gossiping about Brit Brit 4 lyfe. So, without further style-spazzing ado, prepare for major closet envy with Sabi's *Oprah voice* favorite things!
Jonny Makeup at the Jeremy Scott NYFW afterparty.
Photo/GIF: Mr. Gif
Were you to look up Jonny Makeup on these here interwebs, you would learn that he is a performer, writer, and great American socialite. What that means is that his pretty mug has appeared on American Apparel ads as well as their tees, he's had a criminally underrated fledgling rap career (he and his crew the V.I.P. Party Boys are marvelous and have appeared on Cobra Starship's "Damn You Look Good and I'm Drunk"), and there exist about one bazillion photos of him in Google images where he's hugging up on everyone from Paris Hilton to Peaches Geldof. Since he decamped for sunny Los Angeles from New York, we had the pleasure of bumping into Mister Makeup at Jeremy Scott "Lust in the Dust" SS2012 fashion show, where we chatted about his newest hustle—buyer for the hipster party photographer Mark "the Cobrasnake" Hunter's new digi-retail store, The Cobra Shop.
Jeremy Scott afterparty
Photo/GIF: Rory Rockmore
Snooki in Italy on May 25.
Photo: Getty Images
• The Jersey Shore cast is baaaaaaaaaaaaccckk! Well, from Italy at least. In their short return, Snooki has already been compared to the lovely (and fashion forward!) Smurfette and Pauly D flashed an insane amount of bejeweled accessories.
• What were those hot dudes up to this week? X-Men: First Class's Nicholas Hoult showed off his cuter side in Esquire UK, Joe Jonas released his latest music video See No More, Justin Bieber parodied... Justin Bieber, Joe Zee made a cute cameo in a Cobra Starship video, Shia LaBeouf looked DELECTABLE in Details, Godfrey Gao is officially Asia's first (and hottest) male supermodel, and Kanye West and Michael Stipe together make one EXTREMELY hot dude.
• MEOOWWWW. We love cats. We ESPECIALLY love cats and fashion. Katy Perry rocked some crazy expensive cat ears and Chanel launched its feline-friendly ad campaign.
• In celeb designer news, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen launched a $30 T-shirt collection, Lourdes Leon's Material Girl fall 2011 ad campaign featuring Kelly Osbourne hit the blogosphere, Whitney Port dished out some fashion tips, and Lauren Conrad started a fashion column in Forbes.
• The BET Awards were filled with tons of fun AND fashion, but we mostly cared about the fashion. Check out our fave shoes from the red, er, green carpet and our top trends!
• Those pop stars divas are ALWAYS up to something! Lady Gaga eerily resembled Jack Sparrow in Tokyo, Jessie J still looked FIERCE even while wearing a cast onstage in England, Ke$ha and Nicki Minaj both sported skeleton-inspired ensembles, Christina Aguilera was ousted as the face of Stephen Webster jewelry, Beyoncé and Rihanna let their huge hair hang out, and Willow Smith rocked her Fresh Prince dad on her T-shirt. Twice.
• Our cover girls ROCKED it this week! Mia Wasikowska channeled Jane Eyre on Harper's Bazaar Australia and Taylor Swift went retro for Teen Vogue.
Have a great Independence Day, fashion friends! Don't forget to rock out to our favorite Fourth of July fashion music videos. (P.S.—Still have nothing to wear? Try THIS!)
Joe Zee in Cobra Starship's 'Make Me Feel' music video.
Photo: Courtesy of Fueled By Ramen
Cobra Starship's latest music video, "Make Me Feel," dropped yesterday, and while the song is DOPE, we couldn't get past all the uh-mazing cameos in this vid (Robin Williams! Zelda Williams! Our own MTV News editor James Montgomery!). But most notably, our fashion hearts fluttered when Elle magazine's creative director, Joe Zee, makes a hilarious appearance in a photo-booth pic within literally the first 5 seconds of the video. We caught him "feeling fierce" in an adorable ensemble—a double-layered jean and leather varsity jacket combo, which he paired with a skinny tie and killer jazz hands. It seems that varsity jackets were the fashion "it" piece of the video because Cobra Starship's main man Gabe Saporta ALSO sported an adorbs cream and navy jacket!