Kermit the Frog in a Brooks Brothers suit.
Photo: Courtesy of Brooks Brothers
Is it just us or have The Muppets REALLY been stepping up their style game lately? First it was Miss Piggy all gorgeously decked out in Prabal Gurung for InStyle, and then this UH-MAZING image of Kermit the Frog in head-to-toe Brooks Brothers lands in our inbox and, um, we think this officially seals the deal. I mean, just look at him! He KNOWS he's a style god in his custom-made, notch lapel tuxedo with a pleated tuxedo shirt and butterfly bow tie—and he's also got the attitude to prove it. In fact, HMMMMM. This is gettin' us thinking! In light of the news yesterday that Eddie Murphy quit hosting the Oscars, we might know a little green guy that'd be PERFECT for the job...
Miss Piggy wearing Prabal Gurung for the November 2011 issue of "InStyle."
Photo: Courtesy of "InStyle"
We're going to admit something to you: MTV Style has a full-on OBSESSION with The Muppets. Anything fuzzy, furry, and Jim Henson-related makes our day. Case in point, the trailer for the new documentary Being Elmo, which may have made a few of us cry a little while watching it on repeat. Also? A new photo shoot for InStyle magazine starring... Miss Piggy! Not only does anything involving the preeminent, pink-loving, porcine glamour gal fill us with glitter cheer, this new photo spread features Miss P all dressed up in custom prêt-à-porter from the likes of Prabal Gurung, Opening Ceremony, Jason Wu, and Suno.
Miss Piggy at the Opening Ceremony Fashion's Night Out party.
Photo: MTV Style
We had no idea there were going to be so many Muppet worshippers at Fashion's Night Out this year. Seriously, WHOA NYC, you really brought the Muppet love! We must admit that we truly felt we were among our people at the Opening Ceremony El Mercado De Carnaval party at The Ace hotel. (And by our people, we mean those who hold Gonzo in high esteem.) Opening Ceremony is always one of the most fun-tastic presences at Fashion's Night Out, with streets full of ice cream trucks and sidewalk dance parties, not to mention GAH-mazing designer collabs. Our personal fave this year? Oh, just a Muppet clothing line. (Bet you didn't see that coming, huh?) Yes, folks, we can officially check one off the ol' bucket list now that we've stood within arm's distance of the illustrious Miss Piggy. Opening Ceremony's guest of honor—and the party's resident hipster (pigster?)—also turned out to be quite the heartbreaker.
Lady Gaga's Meat Dress.
Photo: Getty Images
• This week we celebrated our first birthday! The selfless beings that we are here at MTV Style (to be read with intense sarcasm), we find it better to give than to receive. Thus, we presented our GIF to you as a sincere and heartfelt THANK YOU to each and every one of you who loves fashion at full volume and has put up with all 119 instances of the word "glitter" on this blog.
• What week is Justin Bieber NOT king? Regardless, this was a big one for the Biebs as he finally released his much-anticipated women's perfume, Someday. Our friends at Buzzworthy tested it out on a few strangers in Time Square in a video you just can't miss! Justin also sported a T-shirt of '90s teen queen Tiffani Thiessen, who then RETURNED THE FAVOR (oh yes, we are still excited about it) by wearing a Bieber tee of her own! No word on when Justin Bieber will one-up Tiffani with the (totally meta) move of wearing a T-shirt of her wearing a T-shirt of him, but we'll be there if/when it happens.
• We caught up personally with a few style stars this week. NBD. *awkwardly brushes shoulders off in an attempt to be nonchalant* Robyn, despite all of our girlish swooning, took some time to speak with us about her cray-mazing personal style from fancy underpants to custom Timbs. And we all developed even bigger girl-crushes on Kreayshawn after she may or may not have TOTALLY SCHOOLED US at liquid eyeliner application. We're unsettlingly competitive so the loss REALLY stings, but for her, we put it aside.
• We analyzed the video fashions of two women idolized by girls everywhere: Britney Spears and Miss Piggy. We broke down Brit's new punk rock look for her "I Wanna Go" music video down to each and every last safety pin. And Miss Piggy brought her fashion game as a 'Vogue Paris' editor in the new Muppets trailer.
• Finally, we (yet again) ogled a wholeeee LOTTA boys, high-fashion boys at that. The D&G models at this week's Milan show charged down the runway like a shirtless army that we definitely wouldn't mind pretending to fend off. The Versace show drew in a seriously studly front row (umm HAI Chace Crawford and Darren Criss). Aaannndd Nicola Formichetti's new campaign video for Mugler is basically porn, and we're not mad about it.
That's it for this week! Thanks for the birthday wishes and for a truly amazing year! Have a great weekend and we'll see you back here on Monday! xoxo
Miss Piggy in 'The Muppets' trailer.
Photo: Courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures
The Muppets movie, which comes out this Thanksgiving, is a deep and heartfelt story of struggle and redemption to reconnect all the Muppets together one last time to save the Muppet Theater from going under and blahblahblah—jump to the important part—MISS PIGGY PLAYS A PLUS-SIZE FASHION EDITOR AT PARIS VOGUE. While not only it is HILARIOUS to think Vogue would openly seek out (AND commission) a plus-size editor, Miss Piggy couldn't be a more perfect pig to play the part. She's sassy, she's witty, and, DANG, she dresses well. We've got our hands on the trailer, and we're already excited to see the full lineup of threads that Miss Piggy will don throughout the feature film. We're obsessed with her '40s fast talkin' journalist–inspired gray tweed blazer, mustard shirt, and pearl necklace outfit paired with a side chapeau, a hint of a birdcage veil, a rhinestone brooch, loose long ringlets, and lashes for DAYS. Check out the rest of her looks below!