A still from Beyoncé's "Best Thing I Never Had" music video.
All Photos Courtesy of Columbia Records
After seeing Beyoncé stomp around with a troupe of hungry women in the post-apocalyptic wasteland in "Who Run The World (Girls)", it is easy to forget that the Houston singer is really a die-hard romantic. Bey probably still absentmindedly doodles B + Jay-Z = 4EVA and had her wedding day planned since she was 13. But don't get it twisted, it doesn't mean that Beyoncé isn't a realist. She knows what gnarly elements lurk out there, and in an ultimate kiss-off ballad to everyone else who is NOT married to her, Queen B sends out "The Best Thing I Never Had" with killer connubial visuals that knock us dead with the awesomely triumphant and HELLA SMUG-in-a-satisfying-way lyrics.
I mean, "WHAT GOES AROUND COMES BACK AROUND, HEY, MAH BABY!...YOU SHOWED YOUR ASS AND I SAW THE REAL YOU/THANK GOD YOU BLEW IT/THANK GAWWWD I DODGED A BULLET!" Sooooooo. Goooooood. The video shows the most beautifullest girl in the world in the Taxonomy of Important Dresses in a Lady's Life: Prom, Wedding, Reception plus the face-melting bonus round of getting to see the most luminous skin and golden hair in white lingerie EVER. Let's break it all down.
ALL IVORY EVERYTHING
While one could cravenly focus ONLY on the fact that our bride is missing...erm...nipples, we're going to focus on the important stuff like how Bey looks marvelous. The softly lit room, the Agent Provocateur garter/teddy combo with the BANGING body is unflappable, and somewhere out there a ex-boyfriend of hers is shooting himself in the face. AS WELL HE SHOULD. Idiot!
At Jennifer Aniston's Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony in Los Angeles, California, on July 7, 2011.
Certain guys, let's just say, guys like Jennifer Aniston's new squeeze, Justin Theroux (from Parks And Recreation or American Psycho) should always have one eyebrow slightly raised. It accentuates the slight shadiness of an over-pronounced widow's peak that, when complemented by a stark black-and-white ensemble, looks positively menacing. In a good way. A super-hot, dangerous way.
While Theroux had been getting a lot of flack for ending his 14-year relationship to date the Hollywood A-lister, our biggest source of bewilderment and sadfacedness had been attributable to his sporting scraggly facial hair of rando-homeless-dude proportions, denying us the pleasure of ogling both his fine features and a good-looking beard.
Things done changed.
Daisy Lowe for Bathing Ape.
Photo: Courtesy of Bathing Ape
Brit "It Girl" Daisy Lowe has been busy lately. First she ousted Christina Aguilera on the ads for eponymous jewelry line, Stephen Webster, and now she's the British brand ambassador for Japanese limited-edition streetwear line and Lil Wayne/Pharrell Williams favorite, A Bathing Ape (a.k.a. BAPE). Apparently, the brand is launching in Europe with this newly unveiled Fall/Winter BAPE ladies collection and nabbed the darling Ms. Lowe as the face. The coup took little convincing, given that she was already a huge fan of the cult-followed sportswear, and as you can see by the resulting images, the match is a harmonious one. Also, not to be backhanded compliment-ish about it but I had NO expectation for how cute the offerings would be.
A model in Alexandre Vauthier during the Fall/Winter 2011-2012 Haute Couture Collection show on July 5, 2011, and Lady Gaga at MTV's Total Request Live in New York City on Aug. 12, 2008.
Photo: Francois Guillot/AFP/Scott Gries/Getty Images
We all know Lady Gaga is the fash-master at paying homage to those who paved her sartorial way before her. Her Michael Jackson/Madonna in "Born This Way." The high-shouldered David Bowie shoulders. Even her genuine love affair with Alexander McQueen. Her ability to pick and borrow and revamp the style that inspires her has made her who she is…so what happens when fashion starts taking a cue from her.
The wild club-kid street style she purports was absent on spring's neutral, structured runways, but out of the official venues, her vampy neon and thick eyeliner reigned. So, obviously, during Couture Week—the time that the most imaginative (and un-cash-strapped) designers show off their one-of-a-kind-pieces—anyone worth their cloth turned to Mother Monster for inspiration, culling her brief (but majorly rich) three-year career for inspiration. As you can see, the draped hood on Alexandre Vauthier's runway directly references (red lips and gold chain withstanding!) the Gaga that dropped by TRL in a late '08 appearance. But Vauthier certainly isn't the only designer with Gags on the brain.
Snooki in Italy on May 25.
Photo: Getty Images
• The Jersey Shore cast is baaaaaaaaaaaaccckk! Well, from Italy at least. In their short return, Snooki has already been compared to the lovely (and fashion forward!) Smurfette and Pauly D flashed an insane amount of bejeweled accessories.
• What were those hot dudes up to this week? X-Men: First Class's Nicholas Hoult showed off his cuter side in Esquire UK, Joe Jonas released his latest music video See No More, Justin Bieber parodied... Justin Bieber, Joe Zee made a cute cameo in a Cobra Starship video, Shia LaBeouf looked DELECTABLE in Details, Godfrey Gao is officially Asia's first (and hottest) male supermodel, and Kanye West and Michael Stipe together make one EXTREMELY hot dude.
• MEOOWWWW. We love cats. We ESPECIALLY love cats and fashion. Katy Perry rocked some crazy expensive cat ears and Chanel launched its feline-friendly ad campaign.
• In celeb designer news, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen launched a $30 T-shirt collection, Lourdes Leon's Material Girl fall 2011 ad campaign featuring Kelly Osbourne hit the blogosphere, Whitney Port dished out some fashion tips, and Lauren Conrad started a fashion column in Forbes.
• The BET Awards were filled with tons of fun AND fashion, but we mostly cared about the fashion. Check out our fave shoes from the red, er, green carpet and our top trends!
• Those pop stars divas are ALWAYS up to something! Lady Gaga eerily resembled Jack Sparrow in Tokyo, Jessie J still looked FIERCE even while wearing a cast onstage in England, Ke$ha and Nicki Minaj both sported skeleton-inspired ensembles, Christina Aguilera was ousted as the face of Stephen Webster jewelry, Beyoncé and Rihanna let their huge hair hang out, and Willow Smith rocked her Fresh Prince dad on her T-shirt. Twice.
• Our cover girls ROCKED it this week! Mia Wasikowska channeled Jane Eyre on Harper's Bazaar Australia and Taylor Swift went retro for Teen Vogue.
Have a great Independence Day, fashion friends! Don't forget to rock out to our favorite Fourth of July fashion music videos. (P.S.—Still have nothing to wear? Try THIS!)
Paul 'DJ Pauly D' DelVecchio at Rain Nightclub in Las Vegas on June 24.
The only thing DJ Pauly D loves more than the ladies is DIAMONDS. Though we are just judging by his smile, just look at that necklace! The chain is so THICK and LUSCIOUS that Pauly needed to use BOTH of his hands to relieve his neck from all that solid weight. What is it like when he spins? Does it burn holes in the back of his neck when the track lights are magnified through each individual prism? And what about these other rocks he's flossin'? Diamond studs so heavy his lobes can barely keep them in straight. Wrist-candy so flooded out they're practically free weights. Like, there's no doubt in our minds that he's doing curls in these things between each flashbulb snap to put his G into the TL. And we know that Pauly D has always rocked some sort of man-jewelry, but where's this sudden need to wear it all at the same time coming from? Is this an aftereffect of the Euro glamour life? Is he upping his security to protect all this ice? Will he let us borrow them for special occasions?!?? These are the Jersey-related questions that keep us up at night.
Bonus: Check out how flawlessly his teeth match his chain, both glinting white underneath the glare of the paparazzi. His dentist should get some sort of award, and we should all appreciate Mr. D's incredible hygiene.
Lady Gaga's Meat Dress.
Photo: Getty Images
• This week we celebrated our first birthday! The selfless beings that we are here at MTV Style (to be read with intense sarcasm), we find it better to give than to receive. Thus, we presented our GIF to you as a sincere and heartfelt THANK YOU to each and every one of you who loves fashion at full volume and has put up with all 119 instances of the word "glitter" on this blog.
• What week is Justin Bieber NOT king? Regardless, this was a big one for the Biebs as he finally released his much-anticipated women's perfume, Someday. Our friends at Buzzworthy tested it out on a few strangers in Time Square in a video you just can't miss! Justin also sported a T-shirt of '90s teen queen Tiffani Thiessen, who then RETURNED THE FAVOR (oh yes, we are still excited about it) by wearing a Bieber tee of her own! No word on when Justin Bieber will one-up Tiffani with the (totally meta) move of wearing a T-shirt of her wearing a T-shirt of him, but we'll be there if/when it happens.
• We caught up personally with a few style stars this week. NBD. *awkwardly brushes shoulders off in an attempt to be nonchalant* Robyn, despite all of our girlish swooning, took some time to speak with us about her cray-mazing personal style from fancy underpants to custom Timbs. And we all developed even bigger girl-crushes on Kreayshawn after she may or may not have TOTALLY SCHOOLED US at liquid eyeliner application. We're unsettlingly competitive so the loss REALLY stings, but for her, we put it aside.
• We analyzed the video fashions of two women idolized by girls everywhere: Britney Spears and Miss Piggy. We broke down Brit's new punk rock look for her "I Wanna Go" music video down to each and every last safety pin. And Miss Piggy brought her fashion game as a 'Vogue Paris' editor in the new Muppets trailer.
• Finally, we (yet again) ogled a wholeeee LOTTA boys, high-fashion boys at that. The D&G models at this week's Milan show charged down the runway like a shirtless army that we definitely wouldn't mind pretending to fend off. The Versace show drew in a seriously studly front row (umm HAI Chace Crawford and Darren Criss). Aaannndd Nicola Formichetti's new campaign video for Mugler is basically porn, and we're not mad about it.
That's it for this week! Thanks for the birthday wishes and for a truly amazing year! Have a great weekend and we'll see you back here on Monday! xoxo
Cute as freakin' balls. Kreayshawn at MTV.
Photo: Michele Crowe/MTV
Kreayshawn done did it again with yesterday's release of her dramatic, catchy, surprisingly Southern-sounding follow-up to "Gucci Gucci" (think tolling bells, cinematic strings and an urgent, skittering bass line) called "Rich Whores," and the rapper/director double-threat from the Bay continues to break the internet with news of upcoming projects, among them a directing gig for the Red Hot Chili Peppers (!!!).
And while we're well aware that the 21-year-old auteur born Natassia Zolot, displays many talents (she's directed videos for Lil B, DB tha General, writes her own lyrics AND picks her own beats), the thing we can't get over is how PERFECT her liquid eyeliner game is. It's impeccable. Like, freakishly. We, being the ceaselessly competitive know-it-alls that we are, decided then and there to challenge her to a liquid liner showdown. Since we selected her brand, and since she has an aptly titled upcoming song, we made her take the handicap of doing the left eye (she's right-handed) and MTV Style did the right. Peep the video gigglefest after the jump.
A still from Britney Spears' 'I Wanna Go' music video.
All Photos Courtesy of Jive Records
The world loves nothing more than a comeback kid, and no one has a more anticipated renaissance like Miss Britney Spears. Her fans propelled her latest (and seventh) studio album Femme Fatale to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. In her music video for I Wanna Go (which was just released yesterday morning) Brit is back to her glowing, loveably goofy self as she pokes fun at her relationship with the media (who? us??), even going a little batcrazy renegade on the paparazzi (familiar much?) with an unexpected weapon.
But our refreshed and redone Brit isn't here to mess around or sing a couple sweet songs. Nosiree. In fact, for her latest, her fashion is as tough as we've ever seen her, with her early aughts sensibilities and a healthy dose of spiky, aggro details.